Janie's Journal

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Craziness!

Hey everyone!!! Things have been pretty crazy around here the last few days. :) I had a really good weekend- On Saturday I played with the kids in the morning/afternoon and helped Liz get guest rooms ready for all the visitors we have coming. That night Liz, her friend Elva, and I went into Trujillo. We took a combi into town and then walked around the historic downtown. We of course had to stop for ice cream (30 cents!) and fried banana- which is really good actually. :) While we were downtown we noticed that there was a wedding going on at one of the cathedrals. In Peru you can just walk right into the wedding if it is held at one of the cathedrals- so we did- we went in and watched part of the wedding- it was crazy to me! :) After that we went out to dinner. I really really need to work on my spanish because Liz got this big book of songs from our waiter and said to pick one- i thought she meant just for listening to, but apparently this was not just a restaurant, but it had Karaoke! I didn't know what was happening until they brought the microphone to our table- but thankfully I had chosen a song I knew- "All my Life" by Kc & Jojo- Elva and Liz sang a song first and then it was my turn- ahhhhh!!! I kept saying no that's okay- but then I realized- so what if my voice isn't that great- I am in Peru with people that don't know me that well- they can just think I am a crazy person! So I definitley sang! :) It was really funny.
Also, I have been getting to know the kids alot better- their personalities are amazing!! I could go on forever talking about all the kids- Friday night I went to the Chispas (stars) house for their nightly devotional and play time. They had me sing to them in English (again and again) and I got to know each one of them so much better. It is alot easier to do it 10 at a time instead of 42 at a time!! :) Then on Monday night I was invited to a party that the Luces (lights) house was having. They had finished a big project at school so they were celebrating. We had chocolate milk and fried eggs and watched my copy of the movie Elf- did you know that you can change the language to spanish?? Spanish Will Farrell is just not the same!! I slept at their house that night but i can't say I got much sleep. :) It was so much fun though!
Last night I made a trip to the airport- A family from Illinois is here to adopt three sisters that were abandoned 2-3 years ago... It is a wonderful story. The parents, Tim and Andrea, already have three boys under 10 years old. They weren't planning on having or adopting any more children, but last December a couple that had worked here for a month went to their church and did a presentation of their experiences here. Tim saw a snap shot of the 3 girls and immediatley said- "Those are my daughters!" He was right- I, along with the 3 girls and Alex went to the Airport last night to pick up the whole family- kids and all. The Peruvian government has officially assigned the girls to Tim and Andrea. They will be here in Trujillo for 2 weeks and then they go to Lima for 2 weeks and then they go home! :) My camera is still not working, but Tim sent me a picture through email this morning that I took on his camera last night so I will post that. :)
We also have a new volunteer coming sometime today or tomorrow- she has friends in Trujillo so she will be staying there for 2 weeks and only visiting the Albergue but then she will move in. I'm so excited! :) On Saturday, Tim's brother-in-law and his son, who was adopted from Peru, are coming to visit for a few days. Monday, Dave Miller(the man that founded and runs the orphanage) gets in for a couple of weeks. Also, there is another family adopting 3 siblings who lost both their parents within 2 weeks of each other last year. That couple should be here towards the end of the month. So there is alot going on here!!! I'm trying to stick to my schedule that Liz and I made, but it is getting more and more difficult!!
I love you all!
janie

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!! You should have done Hanson for Karaoke. :)
Love K

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you have made friends and got to have a relaxing time. Your voice sounds good-English or Spanish. What a great time for the adopting children and parents.
Hugs and kisses, Mom

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Johann said...

Hey Janie. I just found your blog today and it's great to hear what's going on there. Sounds like you are having a blast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counters