Janie's Journal

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Typhoid, hair and culture

Hey everyone!! So this week I really worked on getting things done and getting ready for my trip. On Wednesday I got two vaccinations- one for Typhoid Fever and one for Yellow Fever. On this coming Wednesday I have an appointment with my doctor to get the preventive medication that you take once a day to make sure you don't get Malaria. It is kind of weird to be getting all these shots- I mean, you here about these illnesses all the time but they seem so far away! I also learned this week that I will be in the same time zone as Missouri! Crazy! :) Vickie answered a lot of questions for me this week- I didn't write about all of them last time because I was feeling overwhelmed- thank you to everyone who left comments or sent emails- that was such an encouragement!! She told me that I needed to bring nicer clothes- I can't run around in jeans and a t-shirt everyday like I do here. She suggested kind of a step above my everyday clothes but a step below church clothes. So get ready for me to dress spiffy everyday! :) I also learned that I won't be drying or curling my hair at all while I am there- unless I decide to buy all new hair equipment there- which I won't, by the way! :) I am prepared to be all natural. :) There are a lot of cultural things that I will be learning when I get down there. I know that the first two weeks will be the hardest out of the whole trip- I will be having trouble understanding Spanish and be trying to find my place. But I know that through the whole experience God will be with me and He will be leading me. Someone asked me this week what was the thing I am looking forward to the most- without a shadow of a doubt it is hugging those kids. I just cannot wait to show them love, compassion, and caring. I want so much to be a blessing to them as I know they will be to me. Well, I am off to find some travel health insurance and to try to book a hotel room for my first night in Lima! Wish me luck!
love you all- janie

6 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger The Butler Family said...

Way to be Janie! You go natural girl, and you rock it! =) Maybe you should just cut your hair short before you go....hmmmm.... ;) hehe. Anyways, I love you lots!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hmmm, I think I have the perfect hair solution. Check Mom's bag carefully when she comes home . . . :)

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you, did you get my card? just checking. I wanted to make sure you got it before you left. I don't remember when I sent it, but it was either last week or the week before. Love you and I can't lie...I'm jealous...the burg is getting too small for me.

_heather h

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're getting everything done by now! It's hard to believe it's almost time for you to leave!

Thank you for picking up Trista on Thursday and spending some time with her. I know your time was already limited so I just want you to know how much we all appreciated it!

Enjoy every minute of your time in Peru! We'll be looking to hearing about all your adventures there!

Love,
Linda and Trista

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Shane Sowden said...

Have a good trip. You're a pretty amazing chick and it is cool to read about how God is working through you!!!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janie! This trip sounds GREAT! I hope that everything's coming together well. Here's my email address - regankugler@yahoo.com. I'm starting school (AGAIN!) later today, so I'm back in Liberty.
Talk to you later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counters