Janie's Journal

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Monday, October 02, 2006

Busy Busy!

Hello everyone! It is so amazing how the days and the weeks just fly by! It seems like the day is over before I open my eyes. :) Today was a good day- I got kind of discouraged for awhile because I felt like all I said all day was "no". The kids really try to test the boundaries and see how far they can take things. I've learned that you have to set boundaries and then follow through with action if they cross the boundaries. If you say "no hitting or you have to go your Madre" and they hit, then you actually have to take them to their madre! But all day today it seemed like the kids were not listening and pushing me every step of the way. One of the activities that Emily and I help with is similar to book reports. Every two weeks the Madres choose a book for their casista and every day they read part of the book. At the end of the 2 weeks, the older kids have to give a book report. Our job is to make sure the Madres are reading and then to organize the time and place for the book reports. Today was the day for the book reports- so all of the older kids were in the chapel and each casista was taking a turn giving their report. Josue, Jesus, and Samir- three of the oldest boys in the Tesoro Casista were in there by themselves because their madre was busy with her other children. Like any kids without a direct supervisor they were goofing off and whispering and generally misbehaving. So I sat behind them and kept asking them to be quiet. They in turn were making faces at me and rolling their eyes. In that moment I couldn't help but think "why am I here?" I felt like the kids didn't like me and that I wasn't helping. Afterwards I told Emily how I was feeling and she was quick to remind me that children crave discipline and rules. She said that they respect me and that we both are helping. It was such an encouragement to hear her say that. :)
Also, this weekend was a really good weekend. Saturday I got to play with the kids for awhile and just enjoy their company. Saturday afternoons are family visit time- kids that have parents that still want to see their children can come for a few hours to spend time with them. Liz and the other workers decided to start having a mini-service with the parents every other Saturday. Emily, Liz and I are in charge of planning and implementing it. I actually said a prayer in Spanish (okay so I read it, but who is checking???)!. :) Liz shared the gospel with them and I kept thinking about the hope that the message contains. To know that you can be forgiven for anything that you have ever done in an instant and to be offered everlasting life- It gives me hope everytime I hear it. I know that all of the parents have had such hard lives and may have done some devastating things, but there is always someone who is willing to love them and take them in. One of the mothers decided to accept Christ- She is the mother of 4 of the children here. Yen (2), Dani (4), Aracely(5), and Karina (8)- they are some of the cutest kids you could imagine. I know there a few pictures of Yen on this site because he is one of the kids that I have every day. Karina acts like the mother of her siblings and can be very serious- but she likes to giggle like everyone else! Aracely is stuck between wanting to be grown up part of the time but loving to be a little girl. She is always ready to hug you and give you a kiss and she has the sweetest smile! Dani is all boy and likes to be thrown in the air and tackle other children. Yen has a sweet spirit and a killer smile- he likes to stand on the couch, chair, playground equipment, etc. . . and yell "hola, hola, hola!!" I love their family!!!!
Tomorrow Emily and I are going into town to do a little shopping. We need to get more craft supplies. Emily and I both have crafts two days a week. The children make beaded necklaces, bracelets, and ancle bracelets, braided jewlery and also two of the kids do embroidery work. We then sell the items to visiters or people in the states- anyone want a very genuine present?? :) They are so quick in making them that we are constantly running out of supplies- it is really hard to get bulk anything here, so we have gone to the tiny craft store 4 times since I have been here- tomorrow we plan on buying them out! :) Also, the electricity here sometimes goes out- because of maintenance or just because. Emily and I visited one of the casistas tonight while the power was out and found Melva, a madre, reading to her kids by flashlight- It was so sad to see- Melva doesn't have very good eyes to begin with and then to see her hunched over the book with a little flashlight- it was a sad sight! They don't have lanterns or anything so Emily and I have decided to buy one for each casista- so we hope to do that tomorrow as well.
I am going to start highlighting a few kids each week on my blog- I want you all to get a chance to meet each child, so I thought that would be a good way of doing it! :) Get ready to fall in love with these children- they have a tricky way of stealing your heart when you least expect it!!!
I love you all!
janie

5 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Janie, stay strong. The kids will love you even more if you hold to your rules for them. I know that is really hard for you, just wanting to love them. But sometimes love is shown through discipline too. You care enough to expect more of them, and they'll love you for it in the long run. You are such a blessing to everyone you come across.
Lots of love,
Anna

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just logged on to see that Anna already typed my thoughts!! Go figure! You are doing such great things, and I'm sure the kids are better for all your efforts. Of course, we miss you, but you are still making us smile! I think of you every day and pray for you often. Give out some hugs for me!
Wendy

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now you understand about the green beans... love is not easy. you really are a blessing lil bit.. dad

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is never easy being the one to say "no". Children are the same around the world. The kids have to know there are alot of rules out in the world. Anyway, we love you. Mom

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Every children feel entertaintainment in playground place for playground equipment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counters