Janie's Journal

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hello!

Hello everyone! J It is really rainy outside today, but we are not getting good internet reception inside the apartment so I am sitting on our covered patio outside right now.
On Sunday, Heather, Lucas and I got a really neat opportunity! The family that lives next door to us consists of a little girl-who is almost 2 years old, a little boy-who is a little older than Lucas and is being adopted, and their parents- who happen to be from Rolla, MO! Anyway, the dad had to go back to Missouri for his job, so that left the Mom, Carol alone with both kids. They have been in Guatemala since late January and have been attending a church here since then. Heather and I offered to go with Carol and the kids to help out because 1. I like to help! And 2. I miss Church and I am always up for praising God (even if I can’t understand what they are saying! J) . We went to La Merced- it is a really big, really beautiful, really old Catholic Church. I have never been to Mass and it was completely in Spanish- so I truly had no idea what was going on- but I loved it! It was so neat to know that everyone around me was praying in Spanish and I was praying in English, and our Father knew every person’s heart.
Sunday night I started feeling sick again, but this time I was coughing, sneezing, and having trouble breathing. When I woke up on Monday morning, I diagnosed myself with bronchitis. I get Bronchitis all of the time, because of my asthma. So I called my mom at home and asked her to call my doctor to figure out what to take. (aren’t mom’s great?) Then my sister went to the pharmacy here and got the medicine. In Guatemala you don’t have to have a prescription or anything, you just go in and say “I want this” and they give it to you! It’s amazing! J So now I’m feeling much better and I owe a big thank you to my sister for taking such wonderful care of me!
Today we went out to lunch at a nice restaurant (even a nice restaurant usually costs 10-15 dollars for 2 people!), and then we stopped by a bigger store to do a little shopping. Heather and I decided I deserved to buy myself something because I have been sick so much. I got a really cute, hand made purse with a coin bag, and I got another little souvenir. It was so much fun! J
I’m posting pictures of La Merced and of my friend Trista at the Missouri Special Olympics track meet. Trista’s mom sent me an email and told me all about how well she did. I am so proud of her and I wish that I could have been there to cheer her on, but I am so happy to have pictures and the update! Trista and her mom, Linda go to Curves, where I work. They are two of my favorite people and I even get to hang out with Trista once a week outside of Curves!
I am planning on coming home on June 24th. My sister and Lucas won’t be able to return then because the adoption is taking longer than anyone expected. My original plan was to stay until they got to come home, but I can’t be away for much longer than a month- so everyone at home- I will see you in 2 and a half weeks!
Love you all-
janie

4 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. I don't want to make you feel more homesick, but I have really missed having you around here!
I am sorry that you don't get to stay the whole time. But it must mean a lot to your sister that you wanted to be there for her. She is blessed to have a sister like you!
Enjoy your time! Take in every smell, sight, and sound; I want to hear all about it.
Later, Love ya,
Anna

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janie - I am so sorry you have been sick again. It is amazing that you don't have to have a prescription, isn't it? So glad you are feeling better. -K

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you have been a big help and support for Heather also. Stay strong. Love, Mom

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counters